Friday, November 8, 2013

DREAM ABOUT ACHIEVING FAME

This dream comes from a young woman who lives in Los Angeles, California.

I am with my friends and we travel in a group wearing clothes that attract attention.  That seems to be the main point.  Our clothes are either colorful and uniquely put together, or the latest fashion, or extremely ugly or beautiful.  Hairstyle, makeup accessories… everything I wear is designed to get people to look at me. 

It sounds like the profile of someone whose main goal is getting people’s attention… i.e., FAME.

Other individuals are doing the same thing, and it’s like we’re competing with each other to see which of us are getting talked about and written about… even shown on television the most. 

This isn’t a goal exclusive to you.  Other people make this their primary goal.  People with no particular talent or skill can succeed in this endeavor, getting attention because of how they look or what they’ve done.  Think about those celebrities who get famous because of doing something controversial… videos popping up on the internet… even appearing on reality shows which doesn’t necessarily present them in the best light.

After a while, it feels like my life is nothing but changing clothes and appearance, then going somewhere where people will notice me.  My group of friends change along the way.  Some of them form their own groups and begin to compete with me.  Even members of my own family form their own groups and compete with me.

Inevitably there is something addictive about fame.  The attention you get creates a sphere which belongs only to you… somehow created by the admiration and love from people who don’t even know you.  It makes you feel relevant and important.  It gives you a challenging goal in life.   Unfortunately, those inside the bubble of attention which surrounds you want it for themselves too, so they stop supporting you.  Instead they compete with you to create their own bubbles.  Even family members can make this choice.

Pretty soon I’m looking for new places to go, different things to do, more attention-getting appearances to make.  I think to myself, “is this all my life’s about?”  None of my friends are really close.  Even my family doesn’t really support me.  When I visit them during holidays, I’m bored with the ordinary things they talk about.  We don’t seem to have much in common.

Unfortunately, being in your own “bubble” of attention tends to create isolation.  The bubble itself adds a layer of energy that prevents people from getting close to you and touching the real you.   By the same token, can you touch and “feel” them back?   Think of the many celebrities whose personal lives have suffered because of their “fame.”  It has to be difficult to live your life knowingly under the microscope.  You’re under constant surveillance and judgment.

When I wake up, I feel like I haven’t really been experiencing life the way most people do.   Like no one who knows me really loves me.   Like maybe no one really knows the true me.  I feel empty.

If people see you only because of how you look, what you do, and what you wear, how can they even begin to see the real you?   When you look in the mirror, can you even see the heart and soul of who you really are?  In fact, are you in touch with your inner truth?  Do you even know and understand yourself?

Not all famous people have dysfunctional lives.  Some have become famous without wanting to be under the glare of the spotlight.  They have even managed to live in relative happiness.

In itself, there’s no “bad/good” or “right/wrong” about it.   It’s a way of life.  Sometimes by pure intent, and sometimes by circumstance.

In this dreamer’s case, it seems to be the dreamer’s choice.  This dream is asking the question, “Is this what you really want?  Fame for the sake of fame?”  and “Are you really willing to give up all the intimate feelings and thoughts which all human beings are capable of?”

Yes, there are ugly things that come up when you become “close” to others… focus on them to see beneath their surface.  There are ugly feelings too … hate, anger, resentment, regret, depression, and many different kinds of pain and fear.  But there’s also joy, success, satisfaction, hope, desire, and all the moments of passion and power which can fill you with purpose and fulfillment. 

I would suggest to this dreamer:   Perhaps your psyche is asking you to reconsider how you live your life.

Till next blog, happy snoozling to you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment