Sunday, February 4, 2018

ABOUT TATTOOS AND BATHROOMS


Caroline from Kansas had a strange dream featuring co-workers, bathrooms and tattoos:

I don’t know why, but for some reason some of my co-workers were staying over at my place. Maybe several women and three guys. I have two bathrooms, so I decided to designate one bathroom for men and the other for women.

Both were in use and I wanted to take a shower. I had places to go and things to do, and I sort of resented these people in my home. One of the guys noticed I was anxious to take my shower, so he suggested asking the guy in the men’s bathroom to postpone showering until a later time. I felt bad about that so I insisted, “No, no, that’s the deal.”

The ladies’ bathroom has a separate toilet area from the shower area, so I decide to use that bathroom. The person in the bathroom is just putting on makeup and stuff so she doesn’t care that I take a shower. I like to sit when the water showers down on me, so I’m relaxing in there, eyes closed. The woman putting on her makeup can see my shadow through the speckled shower door and says, “Wow, you have a tattoo on your side, what’s that for?"

I’m surprised she would ask such a personal question, and I veer between telling her it’s none of her business or just ignoring her. She asks again, and I answer, “Not now. Really, I’ll tell you later.” Then she notices my other tattoo and says, “Wow, there’s another one on your leg.  What’s that about?”  Now, I’m getting embarrassed and say, “I’ll tell you later, okay?"

She insists, “I didn’t really think you’d be the type to get tattoos. Wow, that’s really interesting.” Again, I reply, “Not now.” Finally she agrees, “Sorry, okay.” I stand up and finish taking my shower.

I agree with the co-worker. This dream is very interesting. First of all, even while it’s taking place in Caroline’s home, it’s really about her co-workers. It does suggest, however, that her workplace has become home-like comfortable for her. She has supplies to do her job; she knows where things are kept; there’s food available; and she’s become familiar with the people there.

Bathrooms are private areas, because you get rid of your crap and piss in there. You also take showers there to “clean” yourself. In this dream, bathrooms are a metaphor, then, for privately “venting” your frustrations, anxieties, anger issues and all that stuff. Showers are also a metaphor for emotional and psychological self-cleansing.

It appears Caroline feels there’s a strong demarcation between genders for this “cleansing.” It’s true that men vent differently than women, so this is a valid POV. Actually, people feel so strongly about privacy during the metaphorical and real aspects of “going to the bathroom” that bathrooms are traditionally separated gender-wise.

Nevertheless, while Caroline feels “at home” in her workplace, she inevitably experiences frustration, anxiety, anger and stress. Her ethical view appears to be that such reactions to life are “private” and one doesn’t express them openly in front of co-workers.

This dream suggests that there is at least one male co-worker who is intuitive enough to sense when Caroline needs to “vent.” As far as he’s concerned, it’s okay for Caroline to express her feelings like many men would, i.e., get angry, find fault with others, bully and complain (aggressive traits in our male-dominant society). However, this form of venting doesn’t feel good for Caroline.

Instead, she compromises by doing what women do… find a private place to wash all those feelings away. Afterwards, she may even put on makeup, i.e., put on a face of acceptance and calm after the serious cleansing.

This dream is also showing the dreamer that there’s one genuinely interested female in her workplace who is curious about her in an honest, open way. In a workplace, everyone is usually curious about everyone else. Most people opt not to reveal that curiosity and so their curious exchange with other also-curious types tends to be “gossip.” What’s wonderful about this female co-worker is that she’s open and honest about her curiosity, and she goes to the source, rather than waiting to hear what other people are saying.

People who imprint tattoos onto their bodies are demonstrating a strong belief in or a strong passion about something. Often, these tattoos are hidden, because people tend to be private about things they cherish and value. Depending on how an individual views it, a co-worker asking about a tattoo can be insulting, presumptuous and just plain nosy. In this case, Caroline decides not to take offense at her co-worker’s questions, even while becoming impatient about the co-worker’s curiosity.

In fact, because she’s so open about it, this curious co-worker sounds like a person who could be a genuine friend. She handles her issues in a different way than Caroline does… by applying “cosmetics.” As for Caroline, she chooses to “meditate” away those toxic feelings and just enjoy the process of cleansing for its own value.

Ultimately, Caroline’s psyche is showing her which options are available to her during times of stress and frustration.  She can choose to be “one of the guys” and just “man” it out, or she can be “one of the girls” and apply cosmetics to soften the bare truth to others.  And, of course, she can just be herself… take time to “meditate” and enjoy the rush of cleansing water as it washes away the grime of the day.

This is a revealing dream about Caroline’s personal work ethics, and if she’s lucky, maybe it also suggests two co-workers in Caroline’s life who are potential genuine friends in her life.

We can all learn something from this dream.  Happy snoozles to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment