Monday, August 15, 2016

FLOODED APARTMENTS AND CROCODLES

Reuben from Michigan sent me this dream for interpretation:

I live in a condo and am a member of the board.  Recently, I had a dream where my apartment was filled with knee-deep water.  My first concern is about my roommate and whether he’s aware of this.  Turns out he’s not even home yet from work.  The condo is on a hill and my apartment is on the third floor.  It would have to be a big flood in the area to reach my place. Being a member of the board, I’m concerned for the tenants in the building who live on the lower levels.  Common sense tells me that if the water reached my third-floor apartment, those beneath me must be totally flooded out.  I look out my window and strangely enough, the only flooded-out area is the tennis court, which is on a lower level of the slope.  As I look down at the tennis court, I see crocodiles swimming around at the bottom of the water.  I know I have to tell the other tenants about this, because those critters are deadly.

When I read about his dream, I knew there was a powerful message in this.  Having lived in a condo and having been a member of the board, I knew immediately what Reuben’s psyche was telling him.

Water symbolizes emotion.  Water in a place where it’s not supposed to be is inappropriate emotion. Crocodiles in the water is dangerous emotion.

I asked Reuben if there have been significant disagreements among the people who live in the condo community.  He replied, “Oh boy, and how!”

So there you go.  The dream is self-explanatory.  Let’s think it through.

Since the inappropriate water is in Reuben’s apartment, he is evidently steeped in the disagreements among the condo residents and he’s knee-deep in emotional reactions about the issues involved.  His roommate’s absence suggests that the roommate has managed to avoid such emotional immersion in the disagreements.  Fortunately for Reuben himself, while he feels passionate about the issues, his emotions are still controllable and maneuverable.  Knee-deep water won’t necessarily drown him.

Tennis courts provide an area where residents can share fun, entertainment and exercise.  Certainly it provides a venue for a healthy interaction among the tenants.   A flooded tennis court tells us that the exchanges among the tenants have become toxic and deadly.  Frustration and anger generate ugly accusations, insults, threats and vengeful, hurtful words and actions.  Those, dear readers, are the crocodiles in the tennis court.  I suspect things have gotten ugly among the tenants of Reuben’s condo.

This is definitely a warning dream to Reuben.  First, his psyche is making him aware of the “dangerous waters” in his environment.  In fact, while he’s aware of the dangerous crocodiles in the tennis court waters, he hasn’t yet risen above his own emotional passions which work against his objective responsibilities as a board member.  As long as he’s immersed in his own issues, how can he guide others out of those dangerous waters?

The good news is that the very fact his psyche sent him this dream suggests that he possesses the ability and skill to fix this whole mess.  Go for it, Reuben!  You can do it!  Start by drying out your own apartment, and the rest will be easy.

In my situation, some tenants were so unhappy they moved out.  One was so outraged he sued the Condo Association and we ended up spending our precious Association money to hire defense attorneys.   Not only did the maintenance fees go up, but some repairs and upgrades had to be postponed for years until the fund had restored itself.  Crocodiles indeed!

This dream demonstrates how revealing and helpful our dreams can be.  Happy snoozles to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment